Julie Decker's Reviews > Time Travelers Strictly Cash

Time Travelers Strictly Cash by Spider Robinson

liked it

This collection of stories was half stories about Callahan's Place and half either nonfiction or unrelated stories. It's a hodgepodge of SF/F content of one sort or another and it's worth reading. The Callahan's stories include a story about a man who can tell the future (but can't really do anything to prevent disasters), a story about a talking dog, a story about a time traveler, and story about a man from a mirror world. The nonfiction involved Spider Robinson's reviews or speeches in SF contexts, and the unrelated stories included one about an attempt to game the system of reincarnation, one about a man who helps a damaged woman recover after a suicide attempt, one about a wizard who's so confident his long-lasting competence has gotten the better of him, and one about a couple looking to get a new child after theirs divorced them.

I don't mind the nonfiction stuff, but the Heinlein apologism wasn't up my alley, especially since some of the things Robinson went on at length about how certain things should not be off-putting to women, he also seems to have incorporated less explicitly in his own writing in how women perform as characters. I'm a little frustrated that even in the early 2000s when this was put out, there was still this idea that women should appreciate that their characters have so much agency (even though the agency, as framed by straight men, is largely used to unapologetically desire sex with men, and it's fine because it's their choice, not one they're led to through subservience).

The Callahan's Place stories, predictably, are the best ones, though I think my favorite aspect of them is honestly the atmosphere, secondarily the people, and lastly the plots. The plots are innovative enough but the characters are pretty fun, and the idea of a place where the group gets together to support each other and get pretty drunk with people they trust is comforting and appealing.

The other stories were a fun breath of fresh air--all well written, though not all of them were things I'd want to read a lot more about. Usually a short story is best when it's truly a short story--there isn't more or less that you wish they could have told, which is why the excerpt of a novel stands out a little bit. (It was still good, though.) I'd like to read more Callahan's.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Travelers Strictly Cash.

April 22, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
April 22, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
September 18, 2019 – Started Reading