Kirsty Darbyshire's Reviews > The Dark Flood Rises

The Dark Flood Rises by Margaret Drabble

bookshelves: library-book

I need to read more Margaret Drabble. This was thoroughly excellent. A kind of ramble about ageing that stretches out from Fran Stubbs, a seventy-something year old retiree-refusenik who works in something to do with care homes. The story takes in her recently bereaved son, an elderly gay couple in the Canary Islands, a friend who lives in a retirement community set up as a mock university college, her housebound ex-husband who she provides with home cooked meals, and numerous other related characters. I want to say they are larger-than-life, but really they aren't. I can quite believe in all of them and the relationships between them. The characters are all approaching death in different manners, and there's a theme, from the title, of flood waters rising around them that plays out sometimes in literal as well as metaphorical terms. A thought provoking and enjoyable read, and it probably sounds as if a book about getting inexorably closer to death ought to be depressing but it definitely wasn't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Flood Rises.

October 24, 2019 – Started Reading