Sarah's Reviews > The Novice

The Novice by Trudi Canavan

F 50x66
Mar 28, 2012

Read from March 28 to April 18, 2012

This book although annoying at times is still a nice light fantasy read. The end is particularly rewarding and it makes me hopeful of the next book.

My first criticism is that Lorlen, Rothen and Sonea are all overly dramatic when it comes to Akkarin. They all seem to act like deer in headlights or frightened mice whenever hes near them which I just found slightly ridiculous. I understand hes a very powerful guy and hes done some bad stuff, but in general he seems like quite an agreeable guy and he understandably makes the decisions he does to protect his best interests.

I think I should next move onto Regin, a.k.a Draco Malfoy. I thought the idea that he moved up to the next class as Sonea did was a little bit farfetched. His character was generally annoying but I think that was probably the purpose of the character, and he seemed to fill the spot where Fergun was. I think the thing that got me about this character was how Sonea reacted to him. Shes a slum girl who in the previous book stabbed a magician in the leg, and yet when faced with a teenage boy all she can do is run away or just stand there with her sheild up. When there was 20 novices against her I'm sure that the best idea was to get out of there, but apart from that I don't understand why she acts that way towards Regin while then a few minutes later taking the bold move of storming off from her teacher. I just always wished she'd man up and do something about him, which she eventually does with the help of Dorrien.

I quite liked Tayend being a lad, but I didn't like the twist in Dannyl's character.

I think the last thing I'd like to mention is sometimes I get confused about the passage of time. It seems to be sunny one minute and the rest of the book is covered in snow. It takes Dannyl ages to get to places but somehow his journeys seem to go in a flash when hes going back somewhere, especially when he has to see Akkarin he seems to get home in no time flat.

Dispite this I still really enjoyed the book and found it easy to just sit down and read it without much effort. I'm very interested to see what the last book of the trilogy has to offer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Novice.

04/11/2012 page 190