Kelly's Reviews > Bird Brain: Comics About Mental Health, Starring Pigeons

Bird Brain by Chuck Mullin

bookshelves: comics, read-in-2019, reviewed

OMG Sharon, can you not?

(Full disclosure: I received a free e-ARC for review through NetGalley.)

Bird Brain is yet another collection of comics dealing with the unholy trifecta - anxiety, depression, and general social awkwardness - in a decade that seems to have seen an explosion of them. And I'm totally here for it! (Anxiety and depression, my companions since childhood. If only my dog friends could live as long as you!) A millennial Londoner, Chuck Mullin explores her seemingly never-ending battle with anxiety and depression with humor, self-awareness, and a shit ton of ice cream.

The comics in these here pages tackle a range of mental health issues, from the ups and downs of medication, to self-care, to finding moments of victory wherever you can.

Why pigeons? She loves them, even though most people don't. They're an unfairly maligned species, and I am down with embracing that vibe. Pigeons are survivors, yo!

The strips are divided into three categories - "Bad Times," "Relationships," and "Positivity" - with a personal essay introducing each. The essays are engaging and relatable AF (as much as I don't want them to be, damn you to hell anxiety!), though I didn't love them so much when they pop out at you from between random comics as well. Like, the artwork pretty much speaks for itself, no additional explanations necessary; and sticking more essays in between the comics really interrupts the flow. But I guess you don't have to read them, or can skip theb and come back later. The pigeons won't judge (unless your name is Sharon).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bird Brain.

October 22, 2019 – Started Reading