Lynn Worton's Reviews > Sam The Speedy Sloth: A children’s book about acceptance and self-confidence

Sam The Speedy Sloth by Matthew Ralph

Sam, the Speedy Sloth, is a super illustrated children's book. I loved it.

Sam is a sloth, but not a typical one. He likes to race around and is the fastest sloth in the forest. In this story, he challenges several different animals to race with him. I love this sloth. He is super cute and determined.

This storybook is an ideal stocking filler for Christmas if you are still looking for presents. The author has cleverly rhymed the words, so the story flows off the tongue as one reads it. It is also beautifully illustrated by Khansadk. The pictures are bright and vibrant and show the story for those who cannot read yet and need a little help from the parents, and it compliments the author's words entirely. Sam is a superb character who learns a valuable lesson as the story progresses. The child/children reading this book also learn that it is not always essential to be the fastest or the best at everything they do. However, I feel they will enjoy Sam's journey as it also encourages children to be self-confident but not arrogant, kind and humble.

At the end of the book, there are a few puzzles and activities for the children to complete. It may work better with the paper versions rather than the ebook, but they can still be lots of fun to do. Not sure I'd recommend doing this section at bedtime, but it depends on the parents, so I'll leave that decision up to you.

I highly recommend this book to children aged 3 to 8, and to adults who are looking for a fun, educational book for their little ones. - Lynn Worton

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sam The Speedy Sloth.

October 24, 2019 – Started Reading