Meg - A Bookish Affair's Reviews > Dancing at The Chance

Dancing at The Chance by DeAnna Cameron

Mar 28, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, fiction, historical-fiction
Read in April, 2012

Another day, another great historical fiction read! Dancing at the Chance is the story mostly about Pepper MacClair, a chorus girl and dancer who finally feels at home at The Chance theater. Her mother and her came to New York City penniless and Pepper is finally feeling like she might just be able to get up on her own feet. The Chance is run down and in danger of being no more, a fate that Pepper absolutely cannot fathom. It's also about vaudeville as a whole kind of going out of fashion and struggling to survive.

I loved this book because it took me to a time and place that I haven't read a lot about, turn of the century New York City. For me, New York City will always be one of the most glamorous places in the world. While I don't think that I can take the frenetic pace of living there, I love visiting. What I love about Dancing at the Chance, is that I think it really captures the magic of the city and the dreams that you may just be able to make come true while you're there. I think everyone can find something in common with the characters who are really just trying to make ends meet.

I also loved the focus on vaudeville and dancing. It's really a magical world. I loved how Cameron was able to weave some real characters into the story as well (Ziegfeld of Ziegfeld's Follies appears).

Bottom line: This historical fiction captures grand old NYC perfectly!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancing at The Chance.