Robin Hobb's Reviews > A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World

A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World by C.A. Fletcher

Recommended for: readers who like end of the world tales

First, the usual Caveat. I received this book free from the publisher. I have not met C. A. Fletcher. I do not think receiving the book for free affected my reaction to it.

I think all my readers know that I love dogs. I form very deep and strong bonds with my dogs. They are my companions, not my 'pets'.

So the first word that comes to mind for this book is 'harrowing'. Several times I thought, "I can't read any more of this book." But I also found I could not walk away from the story until I knew the ending.

Griz is a well constructed and compelling character. Given how I feel about my dogs, Griz's actions were completely believable to me, even as I was shrinking away from the page and going, "No, no, don't do that!" As a kid, I persevered through Black Beauty and Lassie, Come Home, with similar feelings of dread. This book is a good solid read, but there were several places of agonizing suspense.

The four rather than five stars are because there were a few places where I felt there was a plot hole. But I also felt that those holes could have been patched with just a sentence or two of extra explanation. No, I'm not going to say what those moments were because if you don't see them and aren't bothered by them, then no one should poke a hole in your enjoyment of the story.

Recommended for anyone who enjoys a good 'end of the world as we know it' tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World.

Started Reading
September 21, 2019 – Finished Reading
October 22, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan McClintock Couldn't agree more. Enjoyed this, but with the same warnings.

message 2: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Funny, this is the same warning I’ve given when recommending some of your books 😂.

message 3: by Drew (new)

Drew Griffith Nice. I just picked up this book from the library a few days ago. Sounds like an interesting premise to this book.