allieereads's Reviews > Ninth House

Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo

19936626

5 stars

TRIGGERS: rape, child molestation, molestation, drug use, drug addiction, alcohol use, graphic depictions of medical procedures(?), vomiting, murder, sexual assault, pedophelia, unwilling drug use (as in, food/drink/smoke was used to drug people and make them obedient), suicidal ideation

I know this book has received mixed reviews and i went in knowing that it was extremely dark with all of the trigger warnings. And I loved it. This book is a commitment - it is a very very slow build type of book. Literally nothing really happens until approx. 160 pages in. But I had so many questions that I continued reading because I wanted answers. I’m an impatient bitch and I need me some INFORMATION.

Although this is an adult fiction, I still get a ‘young adult’ vibe from the writing, if that makes sense. Maybe more ‘new adult’, actually, since it is about college-aged people. I think for me, I really enjoyed the way all the intersecting plot lines came together and the last 200 pages was just constant action and things finally happening. But it took a while for that to happen. The way the book begins is the reader is just dropped in the middle of the story, where you have to play catch up in a way with what has occurred already and we only do that through the dual perspectives of Darlington and Alex. Now, Alex’s perspective is ‘present’ and Darlington’s is ‘past’. Throughout Darlington’s perspective, it does sometimes lean towards ‘info-dumping’ as Darlington is teaching Alex the way of the Lethe and thus, teaching the readers. With Alex’s perspective, you’re literally like, “what the fuck is happening” and bit by bit you find out.

Even though I do rate it 5 stars (I legit just finished it) I can see why people had their issues with it. I found that there were some aspects that were introduced to the story but never explored, and I would have enjoyed more interaction with Alex’s mum because I feel as though the mum and Alex’s father is going to be important down the line. The trigger warnings for this book are immense, literally whatever a human can do to themselves or to another to cause harm, occurred in this book. I think Bardugo should have placed trigger warnings at the start of the book, because some were quite heavy scenes and frankly, at times, uncomfortable. So know that before you go in.

I was, however, engaged throughout my reading of this book, the writing I enjoyed, I enjoyed the characters; THE TWIST AT THE END was fantastic. I just had a really great time reading this, but I did have to put it down a few times because of the really intense scenes.

This is one of those books where you either get into it or not, and I’m so thankful that I was able to get into it because this was one of my most highly anticipated reads of 2019. I rated it 5 stars so I can emphasise that I recognised the ‘issues’ but I freaking loved it. But I do think that if this is to be defined as an ‘adult’, the writing of the book needs to be changed because it doesn’t read as an adult novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ninth House.

October 22, 2019 – Shelved
October 22, 2019 –
page 62
October 23, 2019 – Started Reading
October 24, 2019 –
page 252
55.02% "AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHG I’m loving this so freaking much"
October 25, 2019 – Finished Reading