Bill Krieger's Reviews > Fantasyland: True Tales from America's Most Compulsive Fantasy Baseball League

Fantasyland by Sam Walker

Mar 28, 2012

liked it
Read in March, 2012

You better be into fantasy baseball if you plan on reading Fantasyland. Duh. The fantasy baseball stories ring true and are fun to read... as long as you are a fantasy baseball head yourself.

QOTD1
I didn't know Mo Vaughn was pregnant!
- Fantasyland smack

There are two problems with the book though. First and most important, it reads like a magazine article. This isn't surprising since the author writes magazine articles. Nonetheless, it's less fun reading a book that is so, um, linear and style-free. The other, weirder problem is that the author is the least likeable character that he writes about. This wasn't that distracting, but it was just kind of odd.

People love to talk about their fantasy baseball team... as Sam Walker found out.

QOTD2
When [my fantasy baseball article] appeared, it wasn't the volume of correspondence that surprised me but the fact that nobody had much of anything to say about the column itself. All they wanted to do was recap their own fantasy seasons. One message, typical of the lot, said, "I can't believe I traded Keving Millwood!"
- Sam Walker, on response to one of his early fantasy baseball articles

I sure hope my superstar IF comes through for me this year: Longoria at 3rd, Hanley at short, and Uggla at 2nd. He he.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantasyland.