Gary's Reviews > After the End

After the End by Clare Mackintosh

I picked this book up purely because I had recently read a couple of really good psychological thrillers by the same author. However as I started reading it I was surprised that it was so different to the previous books I had read by her. This is a book must have been so difficult for her to write as it is a subject which is close to her and must have been a very difficult time of her life. Presumably her own story compelled her to write 'After the End'.
In the story Pip and Max have to contemplate whether they should terminate the life of their terminally ill son, Dylan. Dylan is three years old and is ill with cancer which has left him with brain damage and the medical staff can do no more for him. It is an impossible decision Max and Pip face but a decision that will ultimately change their lives forever. An impossible decision is made worse when they both want different outcomes forcing the need to put the case to the courts.

The book relates alternative scenarios to show the possible outcomes of either decision, Pips preference of switching off the machines keeping Dylan alive or Max's choice of seeking advanced medication in America, potentially prolonging everyone's suffering by keeping him alive to die peacefully.
I found this an hard book to read so I can fully understand how hard it must have been to write. I did consider stopping when I realised what the book was about but it was so well written I just had to read more. Avery good read but not suitable for everyone I am sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the End.

October 22, 2019 – Started Reading