Tyson Adams's Reviews > Zoo City

Zoo City by Lauren Beukes

Sometimes the albatross around your neck is alive.

Zinzi December is scraping by finding lost things and writing email scams to pay off her debts. Her life as a Zoo, someone magically saddled with an animal for their misdeeds, in South Africa is a struggle to stay afloat. When one of her clients is murdered she is offered a job finding a lost teen pop-idol. The money is too good. The job isn't.

It's been a few years since I met Lauren at a writers festival. In that time I've read several of her books, including The Shining Girls and her collection of short stories. She always manages to bring something fresh to the page. If I was to tell you that characters in this book have a spirit animal magically tied to them you'd immediately think His Dark Materials. Well, no, nothing like that at all. In The Shining Girls there was time travel. Nope, not in the way you're thinking. And that is the skill Lauren brings to the page.

Zoo City is a compelling read. The world feels dirty and nasty inhabited with characters who are hustling or surviving. And the missing person case is a great excuse to traipse through this world. But this strength is also why some people may not enjoy the book. After spending some time in Zoo City you feel in need of a shower and there is a sense of hopelessness or nihilism. Best to know that going in or this could turn you off.

I'm looking forward to reading Lauren's other novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zoo City.

March 14, 2012 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
October 22, 2019 – Started Reading