Sarah's Reviews > Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: It's Impossible to Be Spiritually Mature, While Remaining Emotionally Immature

Emotionally Healthy Spirituality by Peter Scazzero

9571968

bookshelves: christian-non-fiction, self-help, spiritual-growth

Even though this book was first published in 2014, I am just now getting my hands on it in 2019. How I wish I could go back in time and give myself a copy of it five years ago! It is a life-changing read that is bound to become a contemporary classic.

Peter Scazzero reveals how many of us are emotionally unhealthy, even though we may have spent years in church, attended Bible studies, formed a daily prayer habit, and practiced other Christian traditions. He hooks you with a powerful personal story of his own failings in the first chapter, and keeps sharing them throughout the book. I found this appealing, because he is humble in his approach with this hard-hitting news.

One of the most fascinating parts of this book is about a genogram. It’s like a family tree, but with emotional factors added in. When I prepared one of these for myself, I could recognize so many unhealthy traits that had been passed down unexamined through several generations. Since I deeply wish to break the destructive cycles in my family tree, this book is providing excellent insight and practical help.

I also appreciate his unique explanation about Jesus’ temptation, and the description about spiritual walls we must press through. This isn’t a fast read; it’s rich, deep and healing. It’s an ideal resource if you are going through counseling, or if you are counseling someone else. You can find many other companion resources to this original book by searching on either retailer below.

I purchased my own copy of Emotionally Healthy Spirituality from Lifeway.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emotionally Healthy Spirituality.

October 12, 2019 – Started Reading