Jannelies's Reviews > The Loop

The Loop by Nicholas Holloway

bookshelves: booksirens, thriller

Nicholas Holloway sets a complicated story, with complicated characters, in a stark but beautiful landscape. Spanning over a year in real time, but with lots of chapters explaining past events, the story rolls forward to end in a rather unexpected way.
The reason I gave this book 4 stars instead of 5 is just that; towards the end the story tends to become a little too complicated and the ending is, for me at least, a litte too rushed.
The Loop is a story about a family, with all members harboring their own secrets, sometimes without their knowledge themselves. It is a story about lost, love and revenge. The characters are well draw out and the idea to give each chapter the name of a color or material, that refers to something important in that chapter, is very nice.
What I didn't like is the fact that the story moves backward and forward, without any indication of it doing so. Sometimes it took me a whole page of reading before I realized I was reading something that happened in the past, so I had to get back and read that part again.

I am happy BookSirens pointed this book out to me and sent me a digital review copy. I hope to read more of Nicholas Holloway in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Loop.

October 22, 2019 – Started Reading
October 22, 2019 – Shelved
October 22, 2019 –
page 243
October 24, 2019 – Finished Reading
October 25, 2019 – Shelved as: booksirens
October 25, 2019 – Shelved as: thriller

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Excellent review, Jannelies 💖

Jannelies Thank you, Felicia!

message 3: by Nicholas (new) - added it

Nicholas Holloway Thank you so much for the review! I appreciate any feedback that helps me grow as a writer. :) New book coming 2020!

Jannelies Thank you, Nicholas. I'm looking forward to it.