Khyati Gautam's Reviews > The Octopus Curse

The Octopus Curse by Salma Farook

The Octopus Curse by Salma Farook is a tapestry of delightful poems that touches upon several themes of love, women, heartbreak, rape, etc softly and powerfully. Each segment in the book starts off with the characteristic of an Octopus explained and compared to human traits. It is wonderful to see how the author plays with words to create a surreal impression on the readers. The poems sift through various theme and that makes them both interesting and appealing. A few poems truly made me marvel at the capacity of the author to pull this strong work of art. They unapologetically speak volumes about women craving compliments for their brain and not beauty, about the constantly rising rape culture in the society, about the strength of being a woman, about love and betrayal.

What I loved the most about the book is the illustrations carved on almost every page of the book. This gorgeous hardcover has an abundance of graceful words and artistic pictures that you can't help but dive straight into its glorious beauty. I being a reader and writer of poems missed the rhyme and structure in the poems. Although they were simply beautiful yet I found that 'amazing' factor amiss. I would have marked the book as an excellent read had there been more perfect poems to substantiate my verdict. Nevertheless, it is a collectible edition and is definitely a really good book for the newbies to start reading poetry. And once again, I would say that it is one of the most bewitching books I have ever seen. So, a brownie point would be given for that and if you are the one loving beautiful books, get this one up on your shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Octopus Curse.

October 22, 2019 – Started Reading