Christian Fiction Addiction's Reviews > The Timepiece

The Timepiece by Beverly Lewis

I have been asked before why I, a reader who most loves suspense novels, enjoy reviewing Amish-themed novels from Beverly Lewis. It is true that the pace of "The Timepiece" often reflects the slower life of the Amish, unhurried by the demands of modern living, content to take time to ponder the deeper things of life. But there is something about the Amish people that I am just drawn to over and over again, the beauty in the simplicity of how they live, the way that they are so interconnected and woven together much like the quilts they fashion. Beverly Lewis continues to capture the Amish people in a way that feels just so real and authentic, and so it was with much anticipation that I returned to the world of the Miller family in this second novel in this two-part series begun in The Tinderbox.

I enjoyed reconnecting with each of the family members, and thought that the addition of Adeline, the daughter Sylvia's dad didn't even know he had, added an intriguing twist to the story. Watching her navigate not only the strangeness of the Amish life compared to her English upbringing, but also meeting her dad and her siblings for the first time, made for some moving scenes. I was so inspired to observe these characters work through the hard parts of life, wrestling with forgiveness and both accepting and giving grace. By the final third of the novel, the pace really picked up and the scenes fairly flew by, with one after another bringing a smile to my face.

There is a reason that readers continue to turn again and again to Beverly Lewis to encounter her wonderful characters in the midst of Amish communities. Her characters, while living a different life than the vast majority of us do, so often wrestle with the very same challenges we all do, and yet do so in a way that ultimately is just beautifully glorifying to God. I quite enjoyed "The Timepiece" and award it a solid rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Timepiece.

Finished Reading