Wanda Hartzenberg's Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by D.C.S.

bookshelves: stunning-reads

My review.
I was extremely excited and filled with excitement and trepidation when I was approached to read and review The Synarchy Series. Synarchy Book 1: The Awakening. Excitement, because every book is an adventure. Trepidation because although I love to watch Sci - Fi I have found that reading the genre is, for me, not a pleasant experience. I have read few and liked even less. So I started on Synarchy, The Awakening with torn emotions. At first you meet aliens. I like aliens, especially the kind you find on earth. They are for the most part a really cool twist. But very few authors can pull off writing about aliens, they either ends up being too alien (do not pardon the pun) or they turn out to be way too human, taking away the cool weirdness that should be ET. Then you meet the Costa Nostra. I kid you not. Families with bloodlines older than memory who will as soon cap you as hug you. So here a twist entered the story from almost the get go. These mafia guys, being mafia and killing people, are cool. They are also the people that hold the key to the universe's in their hands. But that is not the cool part (although it is pretty awesome). The really cool part is the fact that like with any and all families you always have the black sheep. Here the black sheep are not the ones who cap too many people but who end up on the wrong side of a fight from well . . . I do not want to give away the plot. So the reader gets drawn into a family drama where you will end up rooting for the "Soprano's". I could not believe this authors mastery of the written word in getting me to voice, many times quite vocally for one member of the family to slap that rotten, two timing . . .sun of a . . . or simply to do humanity a favor and get rid of the sorry excuse of a . . . . . Ironically as it turns out. My pleads to rid humanity of their sorry souls turned out to be a very, very valid one.
So you have aliens. Cool aliens, might I remind you. You have the mob and you have events that have been set in motion in time in memoriam. So what do you need to take this story further? Eastern Mysticism of course, The Mayan prophecy and technology that blows your mind.
So by now I guess you think that you have heard it all. Ah, but I am not done! The author injects a healthy dose of political comment, love affairs that span over time and is so poignant that it leaves the reader breathless. So, recap, aliens, mafia, enlightened masters, politics, love affairs, Mayan prophecies. Seriously? Seriously! All written into possibly the best Sci Fi story I have ever read. This is a masterful story written in terms where you as reader is up to date with every character, their motivation and their lives, lost and loves. It is an incredible story in that even with these multitudes of story plots the author has fully formed characters with charm, whit and faults. The settings are described and root the characters and the story line perfectly.
So sit up and take notice. The author was awesome enough to include the second book in this eight part series for me, upon sending the first one. I am counting down the hours to tonight when I can start on the second one immediately. But this one, I will prolong. I have to. The suspense will kill me if I don’t. She is busy writing the third in the series and needs to get a move on. Humanity will either self destruct or cease to exist in this form come December 21. 2012. I plan to read all her books before either scenario takes place.
I give this book an 8 ********star rating. Even those of us (we don’t read Sci Fi) readers will love this. It is really a must read filled with intrigue and sorrow, loss and love and hope. I would have given it a 10 ********** rating if I could. But I may need more stars for the second book for which a movie deal has already been signed. I absolutely adore this book and so I say, go get it….. NOW……
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Wanda Hartzenberg My review.