K's Reviews > I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You

Mar 27, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: lit-teen
Read in March, 2012

It's strange, because I love Heist Society something fierce, but something about this book was hard to get into. Obviously, it's a novel written much earlier than Heist Society, and I'm sure that's a factor, but part of the problem is, I think Cammie's lack of development as a convincing character. I didn't start to get a good feeling for her until halfway through the book, and even then I felt that she was merely a summation of her actions, not a character in her own right. Obviously she had some really great flaws, but it didn't seem she was ever really held accountable for them? (One recalls the confrontation about Anna that was easily resolved at Macey's behest), and I think any number of characters might have served as a better narrator (Macey comes to mind, and to a lesser extent both DeeDee and Bex).

The book also had a lot of show-don't-tell, and while I love works that don't take themselves entirely seriously, I feel like this book didn't balance its serious themes against its blase nature well enough? The description of Gallagher Academy reminded me very strongly of Harry's first introduction to Hogwarts, with the obvious issue that the former lacks the latter's supernatural excuse for the ridiculous and fantastical.

I also found Josh to be boring and honestly? Kind of a jerk (maybe even a bit of a Nice Guy) so it was hard to really enjoy the latter half of the book? I was ultimately satisfied by the ending, and I think the last 30 or so pages really hit hard, but the rest of it was pretty mediocre-samey.

I might pick up the next one when I'm bored and want something quick and fast, but otherwise I probably won't continue reading the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You.