Suz Jay's Reviews > The Speed of Falling Objects

The Speed of Falling Objects by Nancy Richardson Fischer

bookshelves: arc, young-adult

“Life is made of deep wounds, different kinds of love, invisible scars, disappointment, surprises and hope.”*

Danny’s first name, “Danger’” used to suit her adventurous personality until a childhood accident caused the loss of her eye. She’s learned to adapt, but the blind spot which reduced her field of vision and lack of depth perception brought insecurity and fear, and forever changed Danny’s relationship with her reality show survivalist father. Before her seventeenth birthday, her father invites her on a trip to the Peruvian rainforest to film an episode of his show. An added bonus is the guest star, a hot, young actor. Danny decides to face her fears and take the opportunity to get to know her father better, but their small plane crashes and her quest for survival begins.

I really enjoyed Danny’s journey to find her way out of the rainforest and find herself in the process. The author does a great job of keeping the circumstances about the accident that resulted in her eye injury a secret. Danny’s BFF Trix is a nice foil in that she has her own coping strategies to deal with her angst over her quest to find her birth parents. Trix would make a fantastic protagonist for another novel in this world. I love how she wants to know why she was named after a breakfast cereal. The secondary characters are well crafted to be allies and antagonists that help Danny grow. Gus, the actor, and Jupiter, one of the crew members, were especially great. Danny’s attempts to forge a relationship with her dad are realistic and heartbreaking. Every step in the rainforest produces palpable tension and gripping adventure.

Thanks to the Amazon and Inkyard Press for providing an Advance Reader Copy.

*Please note that my review is based on uncorrected text.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Speed of Falling Objects.

October 21, 2019 – Shelved