M.H. Thaung's Reviews > Shadow Stitcher: An Everland Mystery

Shadow Stitcher by Misha Handman

This is a noir-ish mystery story, set in a Neverland as it might have evolved after the events in Peter Pan. Private investigator Basil Stark takes on a case that snowballs into battling factions as well as use of a deadly new power.

The premise was very intriguing. I will say straight off I came into the story with very little knowledge of the original Peter Pan (which I guess I read decades ago) - so I wasn't au fait with many of the references, or even the names.

The entire story is narrated in first person, present tense by Stark himself. I found his voice a bit dispassionate: as if he were carrying on a running commentary without being actively involved. I didn't get much sense of him being surprised, worried, angry or afraid, for example. For me, that kept the tension level rather even.

I very much liked the atmosphere of the city. The snippets of history and how the islands (and people) had developed over the years were a lot of fun.

The plot moved along at a good pace, with plenty of twists thrown in, and things fall into place neatly at the end. However, I'm not sure I kept up with events all that well. Partly, it felt like there were a lot of different characters, and I didn't manage to keep track of them all. So, if a clue was that X said something to Y, I didn't always feel I could grasp the significance. Also, I wasn't clear about what was normal or common in this world. So when Basil came to some conclusion about what's going on, I didn't appreciate his "Aha!" moment myself, since I'd have found any other conclusion he made equally possible.

Overall, a fun read. Possibly better appreciated by Peter Pan aficionados.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher. This is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Stitcher.

Started Reading