Jena Henry's Reviews > Good-Time Girl

Good-Time Girl by Leslie M. Rollins

Zany, wildly creative with surprising heart and emotional power- this is the perfect read when your weekend plans go to pieces and you are feeling sorry for yourself. This is also the perfect read when you wake up in the middle of the night and your brain goes through the highlight reel of the calamitous moments in your life spotlighting how you have been a terrible wife and mother. But probably the best time to read Good-Time Girl is when you are feeling on top of the world and you need something to reinforce your devil-may-care feelings.

If I tell you the plot of the book, I’m afraid you won’t be brave enough to read it, so I’ll share some of the book blurb with you, which I edited a bit to not give everything away.

“Leah hates thong underwear as much as she hates being middle-aged and fighting to stay relevant in her job. What strange freedom when she unexpectedly purchases a gun! It’s enough to make her consider an act of terrorism at a certain lingerie store. Though she may need the help of the handsome twenty-two-year-old across the street.
Her shrink wants to help her, her mother wants her to get married, and only her dogs love her.
But Leah and her gun have a different path to follow.”

Leah tells us her story in the first person, present. At times she is witty, sarcastic, self-deprecating and off-putting. But every so often, she reveals her more vulnerable and caring side. She senses she is at a crossroads in her life. On the one hand, she’s getting older, which impacts how the world from men to her mother see her, and how she fits in at her marketing/graphic design job. On the other hand, she’s still witty and vibrant and at her sexual peak. She’s old enough to feel comfortable with her opinions, but insecure enough to hide at home with her dogs.
Buying a gun brings her life in to focus.

You will breeze through this book, it’s fun and clever. I had a little trouble at the beginning getting in to it, as the humor seemed forced and Leah was on her high horse. But once I got to know Leah better, and I assure you, you will bond with her, I had a blast. Yes, there is some fairly graphic sex, but Leah is open and honest and it’s not gratuitous at all. You will love her dogs, her twenty-two-year-old lover, her old lady neighbor, and her mother. By the end of the story, Leah has sorted most of it, and has started a blog, thongburner.com How can you not love a book that ends like that? (Oh, and the bonus material at the end particularly the book club discussion questions is hysterical.)

Please author Leslie M. Rollins, can this book be the start of a series? Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a review copy. This is my honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good-Time Girl.

Finished Reading