bookellenic's Reviews > Tunnel of Bones

Tunnel of Bones by Victoria Schwab

liked it

This was exactly what I expected it to be: swift, entertaining and fun.

In this sequel to City of Ghosts, Cassidy finds herself in another adventure involving ghosts, this time in charming yet very haunted Paris. We didn’t explore this city as much Edinburgh in the first book, which shows how particularly fond of Scotland Schwab is, yet there are nice snippets and descriptions of the protagonist’s short visit to Paris.

If there’s one element in this series that makes it stand out, it’s definitely Jacob. The bestfriend/ghost adds an irresistible layer of intrigue. Add his snarky attitude, his undiluted loyalty and, ahem, the whole mystery surrounding his existence (him being a ghost and everything) and you got yourselves a winner!

The reason I didn’t quite love this as much as the first book doesn’t have to do with the book per se; It has to do with my viewpoint as an adult reading this middle-grade novel. It did not manage to suck me in enough to overlook certain things that I found exasperating, like the decorative existence of parents, not just for Cassidy, but for all the young characters we meet, or the fact that it was a bit more tell and less show at some points. My hardcore Potterhead brain could also not fathom how a book so heavily inspired by Harry Potter (once again, there were quite a few J.K Rowling references, mostly in the second half of the book) involved a protagonist hunting down a Poltergeist, but did not know what a Poltergeist was. Don’t you remember Peeves, Cassidy? You read the books and all… Phew ok, I’m calm now, got it off my chest.

This is a highly enjoyable series that I see myself continuing, but I do not think I will ever reread in the future. I’m also excited about the television adaptation of the first book, City of Ghosts!

Rating:
Audiobook ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Overall reading experience⭐⭐⭐

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tunnel of Bones.

October 21, 2019 – Started Reading
October 21, 2019 – Shelved
October 21, 2019 –
19.0% "Quick and easy to fly through!"
October 25, 2019 – Finished Reading