Karissa's Reviews > A Constellation of Roses

A Constellation of Roses by Miranda Asebedo

I got this through NetGalley to review. I really loved this book. I did not realize that this is a companion novel to “The Deepest Roots”, however this book stands alone very well on its own. It was sweet and thought-provoking and had some magical realism as well. It's an excellent coming of age story and has some wonderful themes about friendship and family.

Trix McCabe is struggling to survive on her own after her mother abandons her. She is dodging social services and making a living via her uncanny ability to steal things and not get caught. Then someone turns her in and social services is involved again, this time they place her with her Aunt...family she didn’t even know she had. As Trix starts to try and make a living with the McCabe family she learns secrets about her past and realizes that this may be just the fresh start she needs to turn things around.

I really loved this story, it grabbed me right from the beginning and was impossible to put down. It was weird how similar this book was to “Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe” which I just finished the week before I read this. Both books have magic pie, a small town setting, and themes of family, friendship, love, and overcoming hardship.

This book is humorous, heartbreaking, and hopeful all at the same time. Trix is a smart girl with a tough past and she is really trying to make her new situation work but old habits die hard. My heart broke for her over and over. I enjoyed watching Trix put everything back together in her life and also enjoyed the small elements of magical realism throughout the story.

There is a lot about friendship, family, coming of age, and getting over a tough past in this book. The book is beautifully written and very hard to put down.

Overall I really loved this book and plan on going back to pick up Asebedo’s first novel as well. I would recommend to those who enjoy coming of age type contemporary fiction with some elements of magical realism.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Constellation of Roses.

October 21, 2019 – Started Reading