Morgan's Reviews > Firmament: No Man

Firmament by J. Grace Pennington

bookshelves: books-i-ve-read-in-2019, favorites

*cue incoherent screaming*

It's been several days, and I'm still not sure I can coherently review this book. It was just so good—Grace's books always are—and some of the things that happened, I just can't even.

I reread the whole series in about a week, which was definitely a good decision, since I'd forgotten a lot of the details, and now I don't know what to do, even though I've got the new Brotherband book out from the library. Because Firmament and Andi and August and Crash and the Doctor and the Captain and Guilders and Elasson and Ursula and Almira...

POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR FIRMAMENT: GESTERN

Andi is dying. Really dying. Like, no more radialloy to keep the angiophages from completely destroying her lymphatic system dying. She and August and the Doctor are in the Alacrity I, heading for the Qandon system as quickly as they possibly can to find more radialloy, only they can't use tracking because somebody very much doesn't want them to reach Qandon and be able to expose his misdeeds. They need someone who can help them track without being tracked, and though it's someone the Captain recommended, with people chasing after them to stop them, it's hard to know who to trust. And they're running out of time because ANDI IS DYING. So many emotions.

Then you've got Crash, escaped from prison, sick, with only Guilders available to find and help him. And there are bounty hunters after him, more than willing to shoot to kill. They just need to get to the embassy in Budapest and they'll be safe. If they can get there. And he and Guilders never did get along, and Crash has to admit that his own attitude vs. Guilders's impeccable character is the reason.

We get to see more of the galaxy, and it's always nice to add to the worldbuilding. See more of the technology, other planets and space stations and all that. It was also great how things from Gestern were being tied up, and how events from Reversal Zone were still very relevant.

AND [name redacted] DIES AND IS NEVER COMING BACK AND THINGS ON THE SURVEYOR WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AND I JUST CAN'T. I was in shock. I'm still kind of in shock.

Book Talbot is the only real new character I can think of in this book (well, and a few random minor characters), and I did end up liking him, though I wasn't sure at first. And feeling a bit sorry for him, even though I'm not on his side on that issue. I already have a ship. Fingers crossed I'll find out if I'm right in the next book.

I loved spending so much time with all my old friends from the Surveyor. Even if one of them (and possibly another?) is never coming back. :( They're like family. My Firmament family. And I love them so much.

And need the next book, like, right now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firmament.

October 20, 2019 – Started Reading
October 20, 2019 – Shelved
October 20, 2019 –
35.0% "So torn between wanting to finish this as fast as possible and wanting to savor it because who knows how long it’ll be before there’ll be another Firmament book and I want to spend as much time with them all as possible. But then, I really do want to see how they save Andi."
October 22, 2019 – Shelved as: favorites