Rachel's Reviews > Stepping Heavenward

Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Payson Prentiss

Mar 27, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: christian-fiction

I read this so long ago and I don't think I was really "ready" to read it at the time. For me there were some things that I had yet to learn in my walk with Christ and for me some of the topics went over my head. So I must read this again sometime now that God's matured me in my faith and taught me so many things. :) But it truly is a wonderful book with so many lessons to inspire you on life's journey. It really makes you think.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stepping Heavenward.

Quotes Rachel Liked

Elizabeth Payson Prentiss
“The question is not whether you ever gave yourself to God, but whether you are His now.”

Elizabeth Payson Prentiss
“People ask me how it happens that my children are all so promptly obedient and so happy. As if it chanced that some parents have such children or chanced that some have not! I am afraid it is only too true, as someone has remarked, that "this is the age of obedient parents!" What then will be the future of their children? How can they yield to God who have never been taught to yield to human authority? And how well fitted will they be to rule their own households who have never learned to rule themselves?”

Elizabeth Payson Prentiss
“But you will imagine that it is best that He should at once enable you to see clearly. If it is, you may be sure He will do it. He never makes mistakes. But He often deals far differently with His disciples. He lets them grope their way in the dark until they fully learn how blind they are, how helpless, how absolutely in need of Him. What His methods will be with you I cannot foretell. But you may be sure that He never works in an arbitrary way. He has a reason for everything He does. You may not understand why He leads you now in this way and now in that, but you may, nay, you must believe that perfection is stamped on His every act.”
tags: god

10/26/2016 marked as: read

Jessica that's interesting. I was thinking similar thoughts about this book the other day. I read it when I was in highschool and didn't like it at all but I think that was because I wasn't mature enough for it yet. Think I'll give it another try... :)

Rachel Sounds like a good plan Sis! ;)

Love you!
~Rachel~

message 3: by Esther (new)

Esther Filbrun I'm just curious--is this for older readers? Because from your two testimonies, it sounds that way.

Rachel Thanks for asking. Um, no I didn't mean it topic-wise it was too mature in that way. :) I think what I mean was that doctrinally speaking and the way the language was written...it was very thought-provoking and I wasn't entirely sure I agreed with everything, but I was still at a young frame of mind and forming my "opinions" on things. So, I'd like to read it again...sometime, now that I'm older and know what I believe. :D But I'm fairly certain it didn't have "adult content".

message 5: by Esther (new)

Esther Filbrun Rachel wrote: "Thanks for asking. Um, no I didn't mean it topic-wise it was too mature in that way. :) I think what I mean was that doctrinally speaking and the way the language was written...it was very thought-..."

Okay! :)