C.G. Drews's Reviews > Can You See Me?

Can You See Me? by Libby Scott

bookshelves: autism, 5-star, middle-grade, read-2019

This. This right here, is what I want to see in autism books. It's been a while since I read a book that so accurately captured autism and made sure to wrap the reader in warm hug through all the pain. I can't even count how many times I've been gutted by autistic books forcing the characters to change or just relying on problematic stereotypes...and then we get THIS. I feel so seen, truly. One of the author's is autistic and it so so shows. Gahhhh. I did not expect to feel this many things.

The book is very focused on what it is like to be autistic.
I found it very intense with the anxiety and meltdowns and Tally's overwhelming, bubbling-over frustration that turned into so many screaming fits. I got her. But it hurt for me, because so much of the pain she goes through (problems with highschool, understanding why people are growing up, friends ditching her, sensory issues) was one hundred percent me in highschool too. My eyes got all stuffed up reading. It's not a "sad" book!!! It just showed how casually harmful the world can be to autistics? And it hit home.

I also haven't seen oppositional defiance disorder (I think they called it something else? Sorry I should have taken notes) explained like this. It was so well written a made sense. I have autistic relatives with this too, and it gave me a new perspective of understanding.

And there were also so many moments where I was sitting there going, "Huh. So that's why I do that." I am in my 20s LOL thank you, little middle-grade novel, for explaining me to myself.

I also really liked Tally's family.
Look there is plenty of angst there. Nell is her older sister, 14 and really sick of her sister's "tantrums" at times...but also so protective of Tally too. They are strife. But it's so realistic. And Tally's parents get her autism, but they also show cracks and snap. But overall? The book is about loving you for who you are.

I just want everyone who's ever met an autistic kid (AND obviously all the autistic kids) to read this book.

Overall, THIS is what an autism book should be like.
It hurt, in good ways, and it was fiercely relatable. It was so unfair sometimes, and so uplifting sometimes, and all over just the excellent autism rep I crave. Tally deserves the world. 😭💛

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can You See Me?.

October 20, 2019 – Started Reading
October 20, 2019 – Shelved
October 21, 2019 – Shelved as: autism
October 21, 2019 – Shelved as: 5-star
October 21, 2019 – Shelved as: middle-grade
October 21, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
October 21, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

NicoleHasRead Awesome review Cait. Having 2 awesome autistics in my house, I will keep an eye out for this.

C.G. Drews NicoleHasRead wrote: "Awesome review Cait. Having 2 awesome autistics in my house, I will keep an eye out for this."

Total recommend!! And it's very accessible for younger readers too.

message 3: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Brilliant review! With an autistic daughter I am always on the look out for stories to add to my TBR pile!

C.G. Drews Amy wrote: "Brilliant review! With an autistic daughter I am always on the look out for stories to add to my TBR pile!"

Oh I hope you'll both like this one then!

message 5: by Rebecca (new) - added it