Jacob Proffitt's Reviews > Demonglass

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

Mar 27, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, young-adult

I'm really torn about this book. On the one hand, it was as good or better than the first. The story is much better paced and presented. The action builds satisfyingly. Cal is finally an actual character (rather than the human Band-Aid). And Sophie's relationships with the men in her life (her dad, Cal, and Archer in particular) are satisfyingly fleshed-out.

On the other hand, there are some elements of the story that really pissed me off. It's been a day or two, now, so I think I'm rational enough to get this all down with a minimum of invective.

First, the world of the Prodigium is shrunk considerably. At least it feels that way to me. This is mostly because Sophie's movements are constrained to Prodigium headquarters (because so many people would like to kill her) with few contemporaries around and she's constantly in the company of people who, for all intents and purposes, represent all of the rest of the Prodigium.

Second, we don't see nearly enough of Archer and Jenna. Archer is, of course, a member of one of the groups that are hunting Sophie to kill her and that'll make dating difficult. Jenna is just… distant. Either Jenna is busy or Sophie is and they can't seem to connect. Jenna is an important source of both support for Sophie and emotional relief for the readers so her near-absence is deeply felt.

Third, the bad guys have it all their way. Seriously, I hate it when an author decides that the bad guys are going to proceed from victory to victory with nary a roadblock or setback. You can't help but feel that the good guys are incompetent and/or stupid when this happens and it's no fun rooting for idiots. Sophie's dad is, apparently, a complete moron, not seeing things he frankly should have known decades ago—which would be fine if there were any indication that he actually is an idiot, but such is not the case. I actually liked him a lot (hey, I'm a dad and my teens might have demon blood in them, you never know, so I can relate) so having the author step in and simply declare that he's a loser (seriously, the guy could not catch a break) bugged me. A lot.

Fourth, I hate, hate, hate doom-laden cliffhanger endings where everything is hopeless with a capital less. Yeah, Sophie got away, but that's hardly comforting as the situation stands. This is a shabby thing to do to your readers and I really wish authors would get over themselves and stop doing it. Having someone desperate for the next book is a good thing—giving them a heaping helping of despair and rage when you do so… not so much.

So yeah, the story is good. Mostly. I'd have given this one four stars easy if it hadn't been for the last chapter or two. It's too bad because I'm actually pissed enough that I'm not sure I want to bother with the next book. Rachel Hawkins has broken my trust and I'm not sure I want to spend more time in her world. I wouldn't be this pissed if she hadn't managed to make me care about the charaters, but I'm not sure if that's enough for me to move forward or not...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demonglass.

March 27, 2012 – Started Reading