LaDonna's Reviews > Sulwe

Sulwe by Lupita Nyong’o

bookshelves: 2019-reading-challenge, a-must-read, kindergarten

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️♾

POWERFUL —seems too easy of a word to describe the debut children’s book by Lupita Nyong’o. Yet, powerful, may not do it enough justice. Colorism is an extremely challenging subject to broach and tackle, especially among people of color. However, Sulwe approaches the issue with such honesty and candor that it invites a much needed discussion.

Brightness is not in your skin...Brightness is just who you are”

With the beautiful illustrations, provided by Vashti Harrison, Sulwe speaks to every woman of color who has felt marginalized or consumed by doubt. Although marketed as a children’s book, this book is ageless!!!

In sharing her story Ms. Nyong’o speaks to the Sulwe in each of us. ”Don’t wait for anyone to tell you what is beautiful. Know that you are beautiful because you choose to be”.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sulwe.

October 19, 2019 – Started Reading
October 19, 2019 – Shelved
October 19, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-reading-challenge
October 19, 2019 – Shelved as: kindergarten
October 19, 2019 – Shelved as: a-must-read
October 19, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Marvelous review, LaDonna 💖 and that cover is gorgeous 😍

LaDonna Thanks so much, Felicia!! This was one of the easiest reviews I’ve written in quite some time. I really think this book benefits all of us.

message 3: by Felicia (new)

Felicia I added it to my xmas list of books to buy for my nieces and nephews.

LaDonna AWESOME!! I plan to read the book to my kindergarten class before the week is out. I can’t wait to experience it with them. Even my daughter, at 17, has been telling her friends about it. 🤯

message 5: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Gorgeous review LaDonna!

LaDonna Thanks, Susanne! I’m glad you liked it. 🤗

message 7: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Tchamba Sorry but I can’t read the book and I don’t know why. Should I buy from amazon before reading?

LaDonna Hi, Sandra. There are no spoilers in my review. But, the choice is truly yours. I’d love for you to share your thoughts.

message 9: by Ogadimma (new)

Ogadimma Chibarameze Nwanuforo Fantastic review

LaDonna Ogadimma, I appreciate your comment. This is truly a wonderful book. I plan to share it with some preteens whom I feel will welcome the message.

message 11: by Ogadimma (new)

Ogadimma Chibarameze Nwanuforo You are truly welcome. Thanks for planing to share this beautiful work.