Kristi's Reviews > Thin Ice

Thin Ice by Paige Shelton

bookshelves: 2019, arc, mystery, netgalley, st-martins-press, suspense, thriller
Read 2 times. Last read October 18, 2019 to October 19, 2019.

Thin Ice by Paige Shelton is a strong start to a new series, Alaska Wild Mysteries and has every element I look for in a good mystery book.

Beth Rivers is well-known author, Elizabeth Fairchild, who is now running for her life after a deranged fan kidnapped her and was never found. Levi Brooks held Beth captive for three days until she manages to fling herself from her captors moving van, causing a serious head injury. Levi is still at large and Beth decides to leave the hospital for the wilds of Alaska, in hopes that he won’t be able to find her there. Arriving by tiny plane in Benedict, Alaska, Beth starts to have flashbacks and memories of her capture; the trauma and details that she couldn’t quite recall before her abduction are now starting to come back to her. She’s barely holding on by a string and she’s all alone in a strange and remote town, with nothing but a few changes of clothes and her beloved antique Olympia typewriter. Beth soon finds out that the Benedict House, the grand-ish hotel she thought she was staying at is, in fact, a half-way house for non-violent, yet felonious women. When a murder occurs just before her arrival, Beth loses her short-lived sense of safety, wondering if her troubles may have followed her to Benedict.

I loved reading about the Alaskan setting of Thin Ice; from the town moose, Gladys, to the absolute remoteness and harshness of the area. The main characters had so much depth and personality; I look forward to seeing them again in her next book. Beth is a wonderful protagonist; she is smart, witty, and courageous, even though she doesn’t think so.

The plot moves quickly, had some great twists but it does leave a bit of a cliff-hanger. I’m actually ok with this because this is a series I’m going to read until the end and I feel like the cliff-hanger is one of necessity. Until the next book in the series!

A big thank you to NetGalley, St. Martin’s Press, and Minotaur Books for allowing me to read and review this title.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thin Ice.

October 17, 2019 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
October 18, 2019 – Started Reading
October 18, 2019 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
October 19, 2019 – Shelved
October 19, 2019 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
October 19, 2019 – Finished Reading