Karen's Reviews > Healthy as F*ck: The Habits You Need to Get Lean, Stay Healthy, and Kick Ass at Life

Healthy as F*ck by Oonagh Duncan

190448

liked it

Ok I am going to be in the minority on this one. First of all, I am getting a bit tired of "the must use curse word in title" fad. I have nothing against cursing, I curse often, but really? I don't understand why it's necessary in this case. It just feels like a ploy to get attention.

Ok now that I have that done. I have nothing against this book particularly, the author was nice, funny, enthusiastic, down to earth, and relatable. Her advice is sound and makes a ton of sense. Much of it wasn't new to me. It's things I've read in many, many other books: tie it to your values, make it a habit by anchoring it to some trigger and reward, think proactively, plan for it, give yourself grace.

But here's the deal, even as she tells you to make something a habit and not a "diet" I feel like it oversimplifies how hard this really is. She tells you not to put food in good vs bad categories but then really tells you not to eat a bunch of stuff. Developing a new habit is hard. Let alone 7 new ones she recommends. I know she knows it's hard too and this book was very motivating. And there are several ideas I liked: one around not being hungry vs being full and the difference between pleasure and happiness.

But in the end, besides liking her voice and tone, I didn't really learn anything all that new from this book. If this area is new to you, I think you will love this book. It's funny, heartfelt and no-nonsense all at once.

with gratitude to netgalley and Sourcebooks for an early copy in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Healthy as F*ck.

October 18, 2019 – Started Reading