Deborah E Kehoe's Reviews > A Curse So Dark and Lonely

A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer

A Beauty and the Beast re-telling, A Curse so Dark and Lonely is the story of Rhen, Prince and heir of Emberfall who was cursed to re-live each season as first a Prince trying to get a young woman to fall in love with him and then as a beast who has killed his family and destroyed his kingdom. With the help of his Man at Arms, Grey, a girl is stolen from Earth and taken through dimensions to his world so that Rhen can try to break this curse. When Grey kidnaps Harper he has changed the game. Harper is not one of the spoiled girls he’s used to she’s had a tough life watching her brother get involved with a gang to pay off their mothers hospital bills and is also fighting her own weakness Cerebral Palsy. Harper is a fighter who will never give up on the chance to get back home even if her feelings for her captor start to change.

I hesitated to pick up this book because I’m really getting tired of re-tellings but I was surprised how easy it was to fall into this story. Harper was a unique character in that she had cerebral palsy but it only made her more fierce. She had such a strength of character that was wonderful to read and that fierceness and what she did with it moved the plot forward. Rhen was a little bit harder to like. He was jaded from years of turning into a beast and had almost given up. When he finds out this is his last chance at finding love you’d think it would make him more desperate, but he seemed to relax into what was happening. He was more curious about what made Harper tick and took the time to get to know her which is ultimately what made him fall in love.

Grey was the biggest surprise. As Rhen’s only surviving warrior and now his right hand man, he’s had to do some pretty despicable things all in the name of duty. He and Harper actually spend a good bit of time together themselves and when he relaxes his guard we see his strength of character. I’ll be interested in reading the second novel A Heart so Fierce and Broken. I’ve heard mixed things, but I liked this book enough that I’m willing to give it a try.

If you’re not yet tired of Beauty and the Beast re-tellings this is a really good one! This is one book where the words within the book are just as beautiful as the design on the cover. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Curse So Dark and Lonely.

October 18, 2019 – Shelved