Loretta's Reviews > The Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

it was ok
bookshelves: classic, my-2019-reading-challenge

I'm really not sure what to say about this book. Was it suppose to be a scary story about a ghost because if it was, I didn't get it. Maybe it was suppose to be a romantic love story but if it was, I didn't get it. Overall, it was pretty tedious and in the end, for me, if wasn't a scary or romantic story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phantom of the Opera.

October 18, 2019 – Started Reading
October 18, 2019 – Shelved
October 22, 2019 – Shelved as: classic
October 22, 2019 – Shelved as: my-2019-reading-challenge
October 22, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

SheAintGotNoShoes It is annoying, isn't it when books or even films for that matter can not make up their minds what they really want to be !!

Loretta SheAintGotNoShoes wrote: "It is annoying, isn't it when books or even films for that matter can not make up their minds what they really want to be !!"

Preaching to the choir! 😊

[Name Redacted] It’s a gothic horror novel, but “horror” doesn’t require the supernatural.

Shaina A gothic romance /horror. They are often one and the same.

message 5: by Parker (new)

Parker It's better in the original French, although even that for me was rather meh. Far better is Terry Pratchett's book Maskerade, which riffs on Phantom.

message 6: by blake (new) - added it

blake I read an excerpt recently in one of my short-story collections (which I seem to have not noted in my books) which was horror stories that became movies, and the editors apologized for the poor quality.

Loretta Shaina wrote: "A gothic romance /horror. They are often one and the same."

I'm not sure that I totally agree with that statement Shaina. There are plenty of classical gothic books out there without romance.

message 8: by blake (new) - added it

blake Although the one definition of "romance" predominates these days, this definition from Merriam-Webster is useful when reading older stuff:

(1): a medieval tale based on legend, chivalric love and adventure, or the supernatural
(2): a prose narrative treating imaginary characters involved in events remote in time or place and usually heroic, adventurous, or mysterious
(3): a love story especially in the form of a novel

Elizabeth It's an extremely weird book. It's very pulpy.

message 10: by Felicia (new)

Felicia I thought it was a stalker book 😂