Veronica 's Reviews > The Better Part of Darkness

Mar 27, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from January 23 to 24, 2013

This is the first book in the Charlie Madigan series. It wasn't great (as most first books aren't) but it wasn't bad either and there was enough there to interest me to read more. Charlie is a likeable enough heroine. She's 31 so that differentiates her from most of the twenty-something heroines in the genre, plus she's a single mother to a 12 year old daughter. Eight months post divorce and post a total death experience guarantees that Charlie is not without her fair share of baggage.

The setting is Atlanta, 13 years after the discovery of other dimensions. This discovery, known as the Revelation, means that races originally thought to be myth are now openly living among humans. Charlie is a detective with the Integrated Task Force (ITF) and works closely with her partner of three years, Hank, who also happens to be a male siren. Their job is to keep all the races in line, a job which is made exponentially harder when a new off-world drug starts making the rounds on the streets. When the drug hits too close to home Charlie finds herself personally involved and soon she is caught up in a much farther reaching scheme. And if that's not enough trouble on Charlie's plate, she's also plagued by nightmares of her death experience that may contain some truths she just doesn't want to know. Oh, and her ex-husband wants her back.

The pacing of the story was good and I liked most of the characters. I especially ended up really getting a kick out of Rex and hope he gets to stick around long term. It probably helps that I didn't much care about the character he replaced. I also enjoyed Charlie's relationship with Hank. Their back and forth joking was nice and had just the right amount of something-something that I always look for in a potential pairing. I have no idea if things will ever go the romantic route with these two - and I admit that with the addition of a female siren, they may not - but at this point I can settle for a well-balanced friendship. I also like that Charlie has a loving and seemingly healthy relationship with her family. Her sister, Bryn, is loving and supportive and her parents, though we don't get to meet them in this book, seem to be very important to her.

Really, my only issue with this book is the amount of power that Charlie "discovers" she has. I always get a little worried about where the author will take things when the heroine seems to gain too much too soon but I'm willing to see how this plays out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Better Part of Darkness.

06/08/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Liz (new) - added it

Liz good review! i've wondered about this series..i'll be watching to see what other thoughts you share! :)

Veronica Thanks Liz. So far so good. I also still want to get back to Nathaniel Cade #1 but so far it hasn't turned up in the moving boxes I've unpacked. Still hunting...

message 3: by Liz (new) - added it

Liz Veronica G. wrote: "Thanks Liz. So far so good. I also still want to get back to Nathaniel Cade #1 but so far it hasn't turned up in the moving boxes I've unpacked. Still hunting..."

Oo, I'll be waiting for your comments on those too! Do you use an ereader? I can't remember the last paper book I read! Although I recently bought a few that I can't get electronically, go figure :op

Veronica I do both, ebooks and actual books. There's just something about holding a book in my hands and turning pages that I can't quite abandon completely. Ereaders do solve the problem of shelf space though, lol.