Matt Whittingham's Reviews > Gotta Get Theroux This: My Life and Strange Times in Television

Gotta Get Theroux This by Louis Theroux

Enjoyable, and almost more of a companion piece to the TV shows, than an out and out autobiography. You do get a sense of his career progression, his first big break (from fellow documentarian Michael Moore), and some of his home life (parents, early marriage, children). But mainly this is a behind the scenes commentrary to some of the more famous TV episodes.

It does focus too much on Jimmy Saville, an event so huge it seems to still bug him now. Perhaps more than the fact he didn't get anyway near revealing the true Saville, I think is a sense of guilt, or at the very least, contradictory feelings, about a man that he became friends with. The book returns repeatedly to this subject, and the audiobook version extra content, is devoted to, yep, more Jimmy Saville.

I would have preferred more of an insight on his views on other complex moral issues covered by some of his later work - anoerexia, choosing suicide, and US states, blighted by guns and violance. Admittedly, this would not have made a very fun read.

Overall, despite the sometimes lightweightness of the subject matter, I like Louis Therous alot, and this is an enjoyable read (or listen in my case, on an Audiobook, read by Louis himself)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gotta Get Theroux This.

Started Reading