Emma's Reviews > Six Months in Sudan: A Young Doctor in a War-torn Village

Six Months in Sudan by James Maskalyk

U 50x66

I first read this book about ten years ago, shortly after it was published. I can't remember how I came across it, but I remember how it affected me. It stayed with me for years. This year, I coincidentally got to know the author after I found the CEC (Consciousness Explorers Club). It was only after meeting him that I realized he had written this book that I had read ten years ago.

After finishing this book a second time, I was again struck by its poignancy and its immediacy. I was not fortunate enough to read the author's blog, but I like the way he integrated his blog posts into a novel.

This book is difficult to read, but it's important. The author's depictions of his time in Sudan and the people he met there are heart wrenching. He is a talented writer, and he manages to bring the reader into his experiences so that they are truly shared.

This book remains one of my favourites, and I'm sure I will be going back to it again and again. Especially now that I've been fortunate enough to have met James - he's an incredibly human and inspiring person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six Months in Sudan.

October 17, 2019 – Started Reading