Lindsey's Reviews > The Mermaid Chair

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd

Aug 14, 2008

liked it

This probably isn't the best time to write a review of this book since I just finished it a few hours ago and am still quite upset by it. The reason I began the book was because of the name, first of all, and also the story takes place on an island right off the coast of South Carolina. I grew up in South Carolina and miss it very much and so I started reading.

The first part of the book dragged a little, although I loved the descriptions of the south and the ocean. As the book picked up I began to feel torn as to whether or not I was disgusted by the main character or recognized parts of my past self in her. Perhaps a little of both. While I've finished the book and restrained myself from throwing it across the room (I did check it out from the library afterall), I find myself questioning the strength of marriage and trust...once again.

I dog-eared a few pages that I felt were simply poetic. Here is one of those quotes that I particularly appreciate.

"These paroxysms were, I realized later, a kind of aftershock. They would come and go for weeks, moments of violent disorientation in which I couldn't recognize myself, completely breaking apart how I understood my life, all the joints and couplings that held it together. It was the peculiar vertigo, the peculiar humility, that comes from realizing what you are really capable of. Those aftershocks would gradually taper off, but in the beginning they could almost paralyze me." p.201

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mermaid Chair.

August 14, 2008 – Shelved
Started Reading
August 18, 2008 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Marcelina (new)

Marcelina Hi Lindsey, I have to say that book left a bad taste in my mouth. But you are right about the location of the story, I have read other books about that area and long to see it for myself. Marcy