M - The long hot spell's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

bookshelves: young-adult, audio-books

Turns out The Chamber of Secrets, book number three in the series, is better than The Sorcerer’s/Philosopher’s Stone! I enjoyed it so much more. I am on board with the characters and found the plot lot more interesting.

I listened to The Chamber of Secrets as an audiobook read by Stephen Fry. I think he did an exceptional job all things considered. There were only a couple of odd moments for me when he was doing female voices, which is something I am sensitive too. But I soon forgot about it which I think is a testament to the terrific job he did narrating, and also to the wonderful plot and characters (thank you J. K. Rowling!).

Despite seeing the movie many times with my kids, I missed WHY exactly Harry and Ron had to drive-fly the car to Hogwarts that day early in the story. The 9 and 3/4 Platform had closed up for them - and now I even know why! In my defence, while watching the films, I was probably up and down regularly getting snacks and drinks for young children. A lot of plot holes and confusions are being rectified for me now that I’m reading the books.

One of the great things about the series is the protagonists. The mains - Harry, Ron and Hermoine are fabulous but Hermoine fast became a favourite for me. I dig her forthrightness, that she’s smart and doesn’t give a damn, and just..well, you know how she is! :P

Hagrid is another favourite of mine. I love him - he’s so funny sometimes and though he’s a little bumbling, he has such a big heart. It was entertaining getting to know Nearly Headless Nick better in book two and I found the Deathday party, and his not quite being headless enough, highly amusing.

On the dark side, (view spoiler). I felt my blood boil with some of his smart-arsed comments in the showdown between him and Harry. Then, the Dursley’s…oh, gosh. Horrid, horrid, backward, nasty people. Yet, a wonderful addition as characters.

I’ve already ordered book three, Harry Potter and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, on audiobook. Rowling’s series is well-suited to audio so I’m running with it. I really wish I'd shared the audiobooks with my kids when they were young.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

October 16, 2019 – Started Reading
October 16, 2019 – Shelved
October 17, 2019 –
October 18, 2019 –
26.0% "Somehow, while I watched the movie several times with my kids, I managed to miss WHY Harry and Ron ended up drive-flying the car to Hogwarts that day. That the 9 and 3/4 Platform had closed up for them! In my defense I was probably up getting snacks or drinks for someone. :P Now it makes more sense."
October 19, 2019 –
October 20, 2019 –
68.0% "I like this second book more than the first one...will I have to adjust my rating for book 1? Hagrid is now my favourite character. I love him. The Deathday party and Nearly Headless Nick getting left out of the 'Headless Hunt' was very funny."
October 21, 2019 –