M - The long hot spell's Reviews > Boy Swallows Universe

Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton

bookshelves: australian, audio-books, literary

A New York Times article said that the book is a “50-50” mix of fact and fantasy according to Dalton (and his mother). I found that out a quarter of the way through and soon gave up pondering what was what. Instead, I let myself get drawn into the awesome and outrageous factional world that Dalton created. The story is a blend of grit, magical realism, beauty and tragedy that, as I write this, seems like it shouldn’t work. Yet it does.

Boy Swallows Universe is set in a working class area of Brisbane in the 1980s. The main protagonist Eli Bell is a well-crafted character who endeared himself to me. Sure, he (view spoiler). A young philosopher at times, at others a straight shooter, this quality makes the ‘child narrator’ (of which I’m not always drawn to) more palatable for me, although the story eventually sees him into adulthood.

I particularly enjoyed the references to setting and time period given that I was born in Brisbane myself and was a teen of the eighties. It had been many years since I’d thought of of Miss Helena and Romper Room and though our family never bought it, I remembered Tang. That weird, orange powdered drink that some friends would have. When I recite this line on my death-bed at least I’ll go laughing: "I'm fuckin' dying and you're giving me weak Tang!"

There is swearing in this book. A lot. Excessive swearing has put me off a novel before, but in this case it's fitting and I have absolutely no problem with it.

Horror is a part of this novel. The horror of crime, family violence, and of addiction. There were even a couple of bits involving animals that made me wince. Many of the people that Eli and his brother were around were frightening and unstable. Eli and Augustus had to deal with much more than children should have to. This story wasn’t always pretty.

Yet, Dalton said in an interview with Harper Collins “I just wanted to give the world a story. To turn all these crazy and sad and painful and beautiful things I’ve seen into a crazy, sad, tragic and beautiful story.” There is no doubt he did that. There was a tenderness, and it seems like some special magic that he wove it in there, amongst the grit. Dalton also said that love was threaded common throughout the novel and he was right. Love is there, too.

The book has won several awards and the audiobook I listened to, narrated by Stig Wemyss, won the Australian book industry ‘Audiobook of the year award’. I’m not surprised as Wemyss did a fantastic job.

I almost gave this story a miss…child protagonist? Not for me, I thought. I’m so glad I didn’t skip it. This is a strange and wonderful story and one for which, the end — despite my amazement regarding some events in the book — I did not see coming until it happened.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy Swallows Universe.

Quotes M Liked

Trent Dalton
“Watch my language? Watch my language? This is what really shits me, when the clandestine heroin operation truth meets the Von Trapp family values mirage we've built for ourselves.”

Trent Dalton
“Do your time before it does you.”

Trent Dalton
“Maybe we’d all be much more effective communicators if we all shut up more.”

Trent Dalton
“Boy swallows past. Boy swallows himself. Boy swallows universe.”

October 16, 2019 – Shelved
October 22, 2019 –
October 22, 2019 –
October 23, 2019 – Started Reading
October 23, 2019 –
31.0% "Oh my God. To think I almost gave this novel a miss. I'm so glad I didn't. It's full of horror but also beauty. In a Harper Collins interview Dalton said "Love, above all else, is threaded through this novel" and the author is right. Love is there too. Wow."
October 24, 2019 –
41.0% "So gritty, so funny, yet so sweet sometimes, this books is GOOD. Of course I'm enjoying that it's set not only in Brisbane but also in the eighties.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'll remember this line on my death-bed and then laugh my way to the other side: "I'm fuckin' dying and you're giving me weak Tang!""
October 25, 2019 –
48.0% "I'm only half way and so much has happened in Eli's life already! This is a fascinating read - well...listen. I'm listening to audiobook read by Stig Wemyss and I'm really happy with his narration (so important)."
October 27, 2019 –
61.0% "Wow - my mind was just blown. This is a strange, if wonderful, novel."
October 28, 2019 –