Julie 's Reviews > Life and Other Inconveniences

Life and Other Inconveniences by Kristan Higgins

bookshelves: 2020, contemporary-fiction, e-book

Life and Other Inconveniences by Kristan Higgins is a 2019 Berkley publication.

A Touching and entertaining story!

Genevieve is facing a challenge that, for once, money can not fix. She calls her estranged granddaughter, Emma, explaining her situation, and demands she return home.

After decades of not speaking to each other, Emma is having none of it. But when Emma’s teenage daughter, Riley, hits a rough patch, she decides a change of scenery might do her good.

To that end, Emma returns home to face the woman who kicked her out when she needed her most, to make peace with her past- and maybe to carve out a different future for herself and Riley in the process.

This is just the kind of story I needed, at just the right time. To put it into context- I am severely behind on my reviews, and the truth is, I read this book a couple of months ago.

I needed a story that had depth and humor, and punched all the right emotional buttons, without being too heavy and this book fit the bill perfectly!!

I was immediately drawn in by Emma and Riley as a mother and daughter team, then found myself more charmed, and impressed by Riley, who was able to penetrate the barriers between her mother and Genevieve, becoming something of a gentle go between, or moderator, unlocking the doors of communication resulting in a little more understanding of the other person’s position.

While the novel explores important issues, such as bullying and paternal roles- regret, acceptance, grief, and forgiveness are the core themes of the novel.

There are many thought provoking elements here, but despite some weighty topics, Higgins keeps the tone on the lighter side. The passages between Riley and Genevieve are some of the most revealing, poignant and funny parts in the book.

The romantic elements are also light and realistic, with plenty of charm and chemistry, but mostly runs in the background for much of the novel.

While I have enjoyed Kristan Higgins work in the past, for some reason her novels tend to languish on my TBR list for ages, despite my best intentions.

I really need to work on that!!

Other than a bit of strong language, here and there, I think this is a book anyone could enjoy!

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life and Other Inconveniences.

October 16, 2019 – Shelved
October 16, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
June 26, 2020 – Started Reading
June 26, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020
June 26, 2020 – Shelved as: contemporary-fiction
June 26, 2020 – Shelved as: e-book
October 15, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Melissa Such a good book! Hope you're loving it.

Julie Melissa wrote: "Such a good book! Hope you're loving it."

Thank you very much, Melissa! Love this author! 💖

message 3: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra wonderful review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed it!

Julie Debra wrote: "wonderful review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed it!"

Thanks so much, Debra!! 💖

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth The intergenerational sagas, especially when done with such a warm touch and thematic elements, are wonderful! Love this fabulous review, Julie!

message 6: by Lyn (new)

Lyn Caglio Loved your review, Julie. Sounds like a great read! 👍😊

Julie Elizabeth wrote: "The intergenerational sagas, especially when done with such a warm touch and thematic elements, are wonderful! Love this fabulous review, Julie!"

Thank you very much, Elizabeth!! 💖

Julie Lyn wrote: "Loved your review, Julie. Sounds like a great read! 👍😊"

Thanks so much, Lyn!! 💖

Kaceey Fabulous review Julie! Glad you enjoyed this one too!💖

message 10: by Dita (new)

Dita Awesome review!

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Fabulous review Julie! Glad you enjoyed this one too!💖"

Thanks so much, Kaceey!! 💖

Julie Dita wrote: "Awesome review!"

Many thanks, Dita!! 💖

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa ~ Bantering Books Wonderful review, Julie! I've only read one novel by Higgans, her most recent release. I really enjoyed it, and "Life and Other Inconveniences" is one of the ones I plan to go back and read. :)

Julie Melissa wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! I've only read one novel by Higgans, her most recent release. I really enjoyed it, and "Life and Other Inconveniences" is one of the ones I plan to go back and read. :)"

Thanks so much, Melissa!! I think you will like this one!! Happy reading!! 💖

message 15: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Wonderful review, Julie . So glad you found just what you were looking for. I’m get what you are saying. While I’m
caught up on reviews, I’m way behind on all of the arcs I have to read and a number have already been published. Oh well!

Julie Angela M wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie . So glad you found just what you were looking for. I’m get what you are saying. While I’m

Thank you very much, dear Angela!! I don't want to talk about how behind I am with arc's!! OY! 💖

message 17: by JanB (new)

JanB KH is a proven winner in this genre. I find her books so fun, light but with some substance. Excellent review Julie!

Julie JanB wrote: "KH is a proven winner in this genre. I find her books so fun, light but with some substance. Excellent review Julie!"

Thank you very much, Jan!! I agree!! I need to read more of her books! 💖