Emily's Reviews > Rabbit Heart

Rabbit Heart by Emily  Deibler

12065550

"It was like asking her to decide between staying in a blood-filled house or running into a tornado. It hurt, that teetering edge between survival and oblivion. It hurt to be this alone."

3.5⭐, rounded up to 4 for GoodReads

Rabbit Heart is my introduction to Emily Deibler's work, and this was a really interesting story. It's well-written, and it goes pretty deep into how people aren't just "good" or "bad", but have a wide array of human emotions and actions.

The book begins and ends with horror vibes, but a lot of what's in between is family drama. The book has alternating timelines, and sometimes I was a little confused about when something was happening, but I got it sorted out eventually.

This book is mostly about recovery from rape. There is a lot of heavy content here, and I felt that the author handled it well. However, I felt misled by the synopsis - I really have to be in the right headspace to read a book like this, and I probably wouldn't have picked this up right now if I would have known what it was really about. This has nothing to do with having a problem with the subject matter, but I just want to be mentally prepared when it's most of the book.

I read in the author's note at the end that this story was originally a horror comedy, and then became the story about recovery from rape instead. I can definitely see how this transition happened, and it's understandable, but I wish the synopsis would have also been clearer about this.

Although I had a tough time with some of the book, it was an intriguing story, and the author weaves grief, healing, love, and horror together well.

CW - rape, suicidal ideation, abortion

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rabbit Heart.

October 16, 2019 – Shelved