Sarah Jensen's Reviews > The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

4200592

I got into Haruki Murakami's work with Norwegian Wood, a coming-of-age story about hopeless, romantic love. I fell in love with his poetic and lyrical style. And then I read M Train by Patti Smith and she goes on for several pages in her book about The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, so naturally I picked it up. In his signature style, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is part detective story with fascinating characters coming in and out of Mr. Okada's life as he searches first for his wife's missing cat, and then for his missing wife. It's the story of a disintegrating marriage and the dark side of life, and of the hidden secrets of World War 2.

It is truly dreamlike, mysterious, funny and poetic. It's nothing like anything I've read before. Murakami has this way of writing that is both practical and in a league of its own. I feel so incredibly lucky to have found Murakami and his work.

"Is it possible, in the final analysis, for one human being to achieve perfect understanding of another?
We can invest enormous time and energy in serious efforts to know another person, but in the end, how close can we come to that person's essence? We convince ourselves that we know the other person well, but do we really know anything important about anyone?"
- Haruki Murakami. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

September 20, 2019 – Started Reading