Rachelle Ayala's Reviews > Kitty, It's Cold Outside

Kitty, It's Cold Outside by Rachelle Ayala

(Review from the author)

Kitty, It's Cold Outside was an unplanned surprise for me. It's what happens when I procrastinate and browse cute photos. I came across this kitten in the snow, and a title popped into my head. Now, I had a book cover with no story idea whatsoever. I pictured a kitten on the outside in the cold, trying to get into a house. At first, it was going to be in the city, and a homeless guy lets the kitten into a basement where he lives.

But then, I was in Christmas Creek thinking about a short story A Christmas Creek Caper and re-reading my other Christmas Creek stories. Christmas Creek used to be called Gills Gulch and it was big in the timber industry before the redwoods were cut down. All that's left is an abandoned sawmill and millhouse adjacent to a creek.

Once I decided the hero would be the Christmas Creek mailman, I gave that job to Mick Jolly, the youngest son of the Jolly family. See Holly Jolly and her Christmassey family introduced in Book 1, Deck the Hearts

The inciting incident would involve the cat. Here are my brainstorming notes.
Inciting Incident? Mick helps a cat get into an abandoned house.
Woman in jeopardy?
How is the woman and the cat related?
Both named Kitty?
Kitty Hawke?
Dressed like a pioneer?
No electricity in the cabin?
Does Mick believe she’s a ghost?
Who is she running from?
What is she hiding?
Gold? Or a title to the sawmill?
Is she related to the Gills?

As you can see, the story didn't exactly turn out the way I imagined and the romance took off from there, surprising me with the magical way a timeless love story can grow from the fertile seed of an image of a kitten in the snow. Hope you enjoy Kitty, It's Cold Outside and the surprises it has in store for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitty, It's Cold Outside.

Started Reading