Kate's Reviews > The Loop

The Loop by Nicholas Holloway

bookshelves: book-sirens, reviewed, mystery

Nicholas Holloway's The Loop is a clever roller coaster of a book. I found this story to have strong characterization, an ideal setting, lots of unexpected twists, and a sense of word play I haven't seen much of lately. I wasn't sure I liked this book when I finished it, but upon reflection, I know that I did, and I liked it a lot.

We meet the Finch family in the midst of their newest crisis (and this family has had several). The siblings have survived a troubled history and now each have a collection of secrets themselves. Holloway has done a fantastic job breathing lives into each of this characters, no matter how broken.

The setting of this book is beautiful; almost a character in its own right. Such beauty hiding so much pain and danger. Northern California is a beautiful place, and the author clearly knows the region and loves it. The lakes make a nice contrast to the terrible things that are occurring throughout the area.

There were many twists and turns in this story. I rarely settled into a suspect before there was another plot twist. The layers uncovered on each page remind us all that there are shades of gray and good and bad in everyone. Anyone could be the guilty party. And the motive was always shifting.

There was a playful note throughout this book. Each chapter was given a colorful title. I thought the playful-ness may be too gimmicky, but I found myself appreciating it and at some times, even loving it. The over-arching color theme connected the threads within each chapter.

The penultimate chapter of this book almost lost me, but after having sat with the conclusion of this story for a couple of days, I have found I appreciate it even more. It was a logical twist, necessary for the ultimate conclusion.

This book appears to be a debut, but I have seen rumors of both a sequel to this one and a new stand alone by this author. I look forward to reading both.
I received a free review copy of this book from Book Sirens and am leaving this review voluntarily.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Loop.

October 16, 2019 – Shelved
October 16, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 16, 2019 – Shelved as: book-sirens
October 22, 2019 – Started Reading
October 22, 2019 – Finished Reading
October 26, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed
October 26, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Nicholas (new) - added it

Nicholas Holloway Thank you so much for the excellent review! So glad you enjoyed it. A sequel to "The Loop" is definitely in the works!

Keep a lookout for my next standalone mystery thriller, "Three Houses on a Hill," coming 2020!