destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]'s Reviews > No Longer Human

No Longer Human by Junji Ito

DNF

I can't even tell you what page I dropped this on, because it would require me to open the file back up and scroll through for the page number, and I can't stomach that.

*** MAJOR CONTENT WARNINGS for on-page child sexual assault. ***

I had no idea this was going to feature child abuse and it came legitimately out of nowhere, twice within a couple of pages of each other — maybe more, I don't know. I got really sick to my stomach and upset and had to close it. Obviously, that's not going to be a problem for a lot of readers, and it might be a great story aside from that, so I'm not knocking the book itself, but I personally cannot read it. I'm really sad because I was looking forward to this... a lot. :(

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Longer Human.

October 16, 2019 – Shelved
October 16, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 29, 2019 – Shelved as: dnf
October 29, 2019 – Shelved as: graphic-novels-manga-comics

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Annemieke / A Dance with Books I'm sorry. This is why we need the trigger warnings at the start of the books, so people can make informed decisions if they want to read this in a book. :(

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin :( I'm so sorry you had that experience, Destiny. I won't be reading this one for that reason.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Annemieke / A Dance with Books wrote: "I'm sorry. This is why we need the trigger warnings at the start of the books, so people can make informed decisions if they want to read this in a book. :("

Agreed! :( People get it stuck in their minds that TWs are a negative thing when all they are is a way to protect people (if they choose to read the TWs at all). If I'd known, I wouldn't have requested this and the publisher wouldn't have (sadly) "wasted" an eARC on me. :(

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Erin wrote: ":( I'm so sorry you had that experience, Destiny. I won't be reading this one for that reason."

Thank you <3 I don't blame you, it was... really unexpected and sickening :(