Wulfwyn 's Reviews > Fries and Alibis

Fries and Alibis by Trixie Silvertale

bookshelves: 2019wulfwynscozymysterybingo, 1019frightfall-readathon, arc, cozy-mystery

I will admit I wasn’t certain about this book at first. I thought Mitzy was abrasive. Okay she is but I understand it now. It took me a minute to warm up to her. She has built up a shield. Life was not easy for her. Once you realize her choices and her personality were shaped from a life of protection and a bit of fatalism, you can get past her shield. Now I’m friends with her. Not cautious friends either but fast friends. The ones you keep and protect.
Mitzy has bounced around in foster care since losing her mom. She didn’t know her dad or anyone in his family. You can imagine her shock at finding out she inherited a bookshop from the grandmother she never knew. But it was good timing so, used to adapting to where the wind blows her, she gets a bus ticket and is on her way. She finds herself in a small town. If you have ever been the outsider in a small town you know what that is like. But, below the surface, this isn’t your average small town. For one thing, instead of an old married sheriff we meet Sheriff Hottie. No explanation needed. Another thing, the grandma Mitzy never got to know is hanging around the bookshop. Mitzy can see and hear her! The guy at the diner was friendly and she has help at the bookshop. Things would be looking up if it wasn’t for the dead body and accusation of murder.
I started out wondering what the heck and ended up reading until early morning hours because I couldn’t put it down. Now I want the next book. The mystery wraps up but the backstory keeps flowing. If you wanted it could be a standalone. My advice to you would be to give this one a chance. It definitely grows on you. I ended up loving Mitzy and invested in her. I enjoyed the mystery because it kept me guessing and questioning. And tell me, who doesn’t dream of owning a bookstore?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fries and Alibis.

October 15, 2019 – Started Reading