Ruby Rae Reads's Reviews > Call Me By Your Name

Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

Yes, I am in fact sobbing. Is this anybody's but my own fault? No, I knew what I was getting myself into.

I make a lot of bad choices I know.

But also this book: BEAUTIFUL. Writing is stunning. Elio is a whole mood. The number of times I said to myself "mood" cannot be counted because he really was. We love Oliver. Did I feel dumb because I had to reread the philosophical metaphors a few times to understand and sometimes still not? Indeed yes. This book is just,,,

The movie is a very accurate adaption and I adore the heck out of it. Elio is my favourite, I love him (even though sweetie you really are really "sick and twisted" ha). And when I first consumed this story I wasn't the biggest fan of Oliver. Obviously, my mind has since changed because YES!!!

Those last few pages am I very grateful for having read. Thank goodness for those. We also all know that some of the scenes in this book are... gross? You know exactly what I'm talking about! (lowkey like that FRUIT scene in the movie more)

Another random thing is that I did not expect is the formatting of Elio's narration. Is that how you say that idk. It was told as if he was speaking to you about the past. Actually, he was telling the story in that way. Felt as if it was us sitting down to chat. But because of this format sometimes lines would be said but I wasn't always sure if they were actually spoken or just in his head? Elio be mysterious am I right!

JUST SO GOOD, I LOVE. Idk why I want to take off half a star. I think maybe it wasn't long enough? I don't have an answer to these incredibly hard questions okay. Super hyped for the sequel now eyyyy!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call Me By Your Name.

October 15, 2019 – Started Reading