Corina's Reviews > Where the Lost Wander: A Novel

Where the Lost Wander by Amy Harmon

bookshelves: historical-romance, epic

I’m only 37% into the book and already can tell it’s going to be a high starred read for me, maybe even my first 5 star book of the year.

Old school western romance, but absolutely beautifully written. Stunning prose, and a plot that leaves me amazed!

More to come...

Update and full review:

___________________________________

I’ve read MANY historical western romance over the years, and the plot for Where the Lost Wander isn’t unique, it’s actually a fairly typical plot about a hero that is both, white and Native Indian, and a wagon train going west. But what makes this book so fantastic is that the author took the basics of a classic historical western romance and turned it into a beautiful work of art.

The book was just STUNNING!!! Beautiful, raw, thoughtful, and touching.

THE COMBINATION OF ALL OF THE ABOVE MADE FOR A COMPELLING, AND UNFORGETTABLE TALE.

And I think what makes it stand out even more is the eye for historical detail, the feeling that these people were drawn from something more. It’s a love story, more than a romance and it comes deep from the heart. Naomi and John’s love for each other was palpable, and transcendent.

Where the Lost Wander isn’t a steamy book. There is actually barely any sex at all in this book. Instead the romance goes much deeper, and the story follows this epic but also at times tragic journey across America, on a wagon train where many will never reach their destination. 1850’s wasn’t a kind period for settlers. Battles between the natives and the settlers, sickness and disease ravaged the country. This book is real, raw and feels entirely authentic.

I fell in love with both, Naomi and John. Both were steadfast, and grounded people. Knowing what they wanted, but also aware of repercussions, and expectations. Naomi had in someway an easier time because she was widowed and had the freedom to chose John without having to worry about what people thought. John, was more circumspect. He knew what it meant to live as neither, fully white, nor fully native. He walked as both but also lived in neither. And he didn’t want Naomi to feel the same. So he had thoughts. I liked that he was a thinker, quiet, peaceful, and hardworking. Naomi was the dreamer, artist, carer. They matched so well, and completed the other in a most touching way.

This book was everything a historical western romance should be. Incredibly well researched, characters that were likable and genuine, and a plot that had heart and soul.

Warning: If you have never read a historical western romance before, please be aware that the relationship between whites and Native Indian’s was volatile and rape of woman was unfortunately something that occurred.

ARC generously provided in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Lost Wander.

October 15, 2019 – Shelved
October 15, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 4, 2020 – Started Reading
January 5, 2020 – Shelved as: historical-romance
January 5, 2020 – Shelved as: epic
January 5, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕ Ekkkkk I can't wait to start my copy!! So glad you loved it!! xox

Corina KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕ wrote: "Ekkkkk I can't wait to start my copy!! So glad you loved it!! xox"

OMG you can't imagine how much I loved this book!! I wanted to stay in bed with this book and never come out - lol.

KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕ Corina wrote: "KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕ wrote: "Ekkkkk I can't wait to start my copy!! So glad you loved it!! xox"

Ohhhhh!! Now I really need to get rid of these other arcs!! xox

Corina KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕ wrote: "Corina wrote: "KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕ wrote: "Ekkkkk I can't wait to start my copy!! So glad you loved it!! xox"

OMG you can't imagine how much I loved this book!! I wanted to stay i..."

Oh, definitely put them to the side. If you have time today to read it AND finish it - go for it! You want to read it in one sitting :D

Bre *B.B. Lynn Reads* Adding this to my tbr!!

Corina Bre *B.B. Lynn Reads* wrote: "Adding this to my tbr!!"

You must!!!!! :D

message 7: by Berit☀️✨ (new)

Berit☀️✨ Oh yay! I have this one I’m so excited! Love seeing those stars, hope the rest is just as good!