Siv's Reviews > The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks & Win Your Inner Creative Battles

The War of Art by Steven Pressfield

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction

All artists (read: every human being) faces Resistance. Resistance takes many forms, but essentially looks like inactivity due to fear. Combating Resistance = WAR! In the fight, we encounter the Muse who has been with us all along except we haven't been paying attention.

I didn't always like this book, but I don't like war, either. Pressfield is right all along - resistance, war, muse. All the way through, except it's not linear. It's an every minute of the day battle, and one I'm committed to. Let's do this!

"Never forget: This very moment, we can change our lives." (22)

"...the most important thing about art is to work. Nothing else matters except sitting down every day and trying.... We're facing dragons too. Fire-breathing griffins of the soul, whom we must outfight and outwit to reach the treasure of our self-in-potential and to release the maiden who is God's plan and destiny for ourselves and the answer to why we were put on the planet." (108-109)

"Eternity is in love with the creations of time." --William Blake (116)

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it. Begin it now." --Goethe (122)

"If I were the last person on earth, would I still do it?" (158)

"Creative work is not a selfish act or a bid for attention on the part of the actor. It's a gift to the world and every being in it. Don't cheat us of your contribution. Give us what you've got." (165)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The War of Art.

Started Reading