Juli's Reviews > Ten Things My Cat Hates About You

Ten Things My Cat Hates About You by Lottie Lucas

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley-arcs

2.5 stars.

I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

This is a fun and super quick read. Sadly, it's not very memorable. The premise of "my cat picking my suitors" is enticing and makes for a quirky setting.

Let's start off with things I liked about this book. The cat, obvi. Clara was sweet and happy most of the time allowing for this tory to feel light-hearted. The two male leads were sort of ok.

Now to the less likable parts. First of all, the title doesn't hold what's promised. There were no TEN things the cat hated about anyone. There was actually very little cat-suitor interactions. Secondly, Clara was a bit boring and self-centered which did not drive the story in any direction. I was excited that she worked an interesting job for example but then seemed to be completely out of touch with what's important (like writing grants for funding - why?, I never received an answer to that reluctance to do what's required of her. Why was this tidbit important to the story?). Her younger brother actually stays with her in her apartment for a while and Clara is so focused on her own life, she doesn't notice that he might need help? This was a serious situation and could've given the book some depth but was handled in a nonchalant way and sort of glanced over, kind of like an unnecessary side-act. Thirdly, her romantic interactions seemed just wrong. One guy treated Clara badly and the other kind of babied her in a bad way. Neither one seemed a super desirable match. The outcome of the love triangle was also incredibly obvious and really no triangle at all. I wish the author had left some mystery.

All in all, this was a kooky, very British read that I think is best enjoyed when a need to escape reality is urgent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Things My Cat Hates About You.

October 15, 2019 – Shelved