orangerful's Reviews > They Called Us Enemy

They Called Us Enemy by George Takei

This is definitely going on my "best books" list for they are one I will be taking with my to booktalks. Another great "next step" graphic novel for teens who grew up reading the Nathan Hale series.

In the book, Takei retells his memories of when his family was taken to the internment camps for Japanese-Americans during WWII and how that shaped his entire life and who he became. It makes you think about what it means to be an American, how democracy can bring out the best and the worst, and how we can learn from our mistakes, if we only educate ourselves.

I only marked it down a star because of the way the story jumped around a bit near the end after being relatively linear (or, at least, flipping from past to present Takei) up until that point. But the story is SO important because this is an often overlooked part of American history and we are very close to repeating it, as is pointed out at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Called Us Enemy.

October 14, 2019 – Shelved
October 14, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 25, 2019 – Started Reading
October 28, 2019 –
page 100
48.08% "An important part of American history that was glossed over when I was in school. I wonder how much it is mentioned in today's classrooms?"
October 29, 2019 – Shelved as: graphic-novel-teen