Joann Marks's Reviews > When Silence Sings

When Silence Sings by Sarah Loudin Thomas

U 50x66

Read 2 times. Last read October 1, 2019 to October 13, 2019.

A love story at its purest, but not what you're thinking.

In 1930 Thurmond and Hinton, West Virginia life was vastly different than it is today. Family feuds and the struggles for power seemed a way of life. People from one side, the Harpe family, hated people form the other side, the McClean family, and vice versa. Most didn’t even know why, but all were caught up in the fight. When a McLean shoots dead a Harpe it just adds fuel to an already unpredictable fire.

Amid this hate and animosity, we see the heart of Colman Harpe, who knows God has called him to preach and wants nothing to do with the ongoing squabbles, but still feels a great loyalty to his family. When he realizes God expects him to go and preach to the enemy…the McClean clan… he isn’t sure it’s possible.

We also see the heart (or seemingly lack thereof) of Serepta McClean who has little concern for anything other than herself and her empire, the legal and illegal. As things seem to be slipping through her hands, “She wished the God who surely hated her would strike her down and be done with it”.

This is when this purest, truest love story begins.

The truest love, the best love in this tremendous story, is seen in the love one man has for others. The love Colman has, overcomes his hate and his fear as he speaks of God to people who hate him. More importantly, we see the love of God who never gives up on us no matter how dark our heart seems.

This book was not what I expected. I like a good love story; this is an exceptional love story in so many ways. Sarah Loudin Thomas does not disappoint in the telling of this tale. Her way with words puts you right there with those wonderful folks, in 1930 West Virginia. You enjoy each character “good” or “bad” and end up with great affection for all for them. A few times I wanted to put the book down, but only because the “happily ever after” seemed to be slipping away. I would highly recommend this book (all of Thomas’s books)

Many thanks to Bethany House Publishers for a copy of this book via Netgalley. The opinions are all my own.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Silence Sings.

Finished Reading